Due to the new strain of H1N1 Influenza, French Hospital Medical Center has transitioned to higher levels of precautions for patients, visitors, and hospital staff (click for more information).
French Hospital Medical Center encourages patient visitation that is conducive to the healing process and allows for the uninterrupted provision of patient care services. The following guidelines are in consideration of our patients needs for support, rest, safety, confidentiality and infection control.
- Visiting hours on all units are unrestricted, subject to approval, by the nurse, the patient and the immediate family.
- Visitors are requested to wait until late morning if possible to allow for personal care.
- Visitors may be asked to leave at 8:00pm to allow patients to sleep uninterrupted during the evening hours.
- Visitors are encouraged to observe French Hospital Medical Center's Quiet Time from 2:00pm - 4:00pm.
- Children under the age of 12 are permitted to visit and must be surpervised at all times. Visits should not exceed 30 minutes.
- Visitors may be asked to leave a patient's room/area during special medical procedures or examinations, or if his/her presence impacts patient confidentiality.
- We ask visitors who have a cold, or any other infectious disease not to visit patients until the signs of contagion are gone.
- It is preferred that all patients have only 2 visitors in their room at one time. If a patient wishes for a friend or relative to spend the night, this must be approved by the Nursing Staff and the Administrative Supervisor.
- Visitations to patients in custody shall be authorized by the law enforcement officer on duty.
- Visitors who are disruptive and do not comply with staff interventions will be asked to leave. If necessary, security staff will be notified in accordance with security policy.
- Visitors are expected to adhere to the "No Smoking" policy at French Hospital (not within 50 feet of our building.)
- Entry into French Hospital from 8:00pm - 5:00am is limited to the Emergency Department.
- Any variations from the above guidelines are to be arranged through a physician and/or the Administrative Supervisor.
The general hospital guidelines apply to specialty areas except where modified below.
Family Birthing Center
At the Family Birthing Center, our program of personal care is designed to keep your birth "family-focsed." Fathers or loved ones are encouraged to stay overnight. The Family Birthing Center Nurses/Supervisors will approve overnight stays. Overnight stay visitors in the Family Birthing Center are required to wear an ID bracelet at all times.
Visitation is limited to two (2) immediate family members. Children under the age of 12 may be permitted to visit at the discretion of the nurse caring for the patient. Visitors are to notify the ICU via the phone outside the chapel before entering the ICU. The length and times of visitations may be adjusted by the nurse caring for the patient. Clergy may visit patients in the ICU with the approval of the nursing staff.
Two (2) visitors may be at the bedside as long as their presence does not interfere with the examination, treatment or patient confidentiality of the patient. Parents or a responsible adult may accompany a minor child in the patient care area.
Surgery Waiting Room
Family members and/or friends are asked to wait in the Surgery waiting room while the patient is in surgery.
Exceptions: In crisis situations, French Hospital staff will work with individuals to create a visiting experience that supports the wellbeing of the patient and family members.
Telephones are at each patient's bedside. To make a local call, dial 9 to get an outside line, then dial the number you wish to reach. Long distance or collect calls require the operator's assistance. Patients may receive phone calls until 10:00 pm. Patients can request all or some calls be held to provide them with rest.
French Hospital Medical Center: (805)-543-5353