Facts about obtaining your medical records:
Medical records are official records of French Hospital Medical Center activity and are considered the property of French Hospital. You have the right to obtain a copy of your medical records, but in order to protect your privacy, we must have your written permission before releasing the records
You may download a copy of the Release of Information Form, then fill it out and mail or fax it to the Medical Records Department .
Instructions (click) are available to help you complete the Release of Information form, or the Health Information Management Staff is also available to assist you in submitting your request. Incomplete forms may be returned to you for completion. By law, no information can be released unless the form is properly signed and appropriate proof of identify supplied.
Our Process: Requests for medical records must be made in writing. Print out and complete an Authorization to Release Protected Health Information
1. Print out and complete an Authorization to Release Protected Health Information.
• Authorization to Release Medical Information (English)
If you do not have access to a computer, you may stop by the Health Information Management Department and fill out a release there, or call (805) 542-6380 to request a copy of the release form be mailed or faxed to you.
2. Bring the completed form to the Health Information Management department; you may also mail or fax the completed form with a readable copy of your driver’s license.
a. Mail to Health Information Management, French Hospital Medical Center, 1911 Johnson Avenue, San Luis Obispo, CA 93401.
b. Fax to (805) 542-6320.
3. Copying an entire chart: There are fees involved when copying an entire chart. The process for handling a request for an entire chart is as follows:
a. Provide the completed authorization plus a check for the clerical fees to cover the cost involved in pulling the chart and preparing it for copy. The fee is $15.00. We will need to receive the initial fee before giving the chart to our copy service.
b. Our copy service is available each Tuesday; the number of pages in the chart will be counted and the fee for copying the chart calculated based on this page count. Cost to copy a chart is $.25 per page. We will contact you with the total fee.
c. Once we have received payment of the per page fee, your chart given back to the copy service to copy.
d. Requests are usually completed within 30 days from the time of the initial request. We will contact you in the event we experience unforeseen delays or are unable to fulfill your request.
e. Records will be mailed to the address specified on the authorization form, or you may pick them up at our office if you make arrangements with the Correspondence Staff. For security reasons, please be prepared to show proper photo identification.
4. Copying specific documents or studies within a chart: There is no fee for copies of individual tests or documents on your chart.
a. Provide the completed authorization to Health Information Management.
b. A member of the Health Information Management staff will complete your request for you.
c. Records will be mailed to the address specified on the authorization form, or you may pick them up at our office if you make arrangements with the Correspondence Staff. For security reasons, please be prepared to show proper photo identification.
REQUESTS FOR CONTINUING MEDICAL CARE
- Medical emergencies will be faxed free of charge directly to a physician or medical facility.
- Continuing care requests are also free of charge and will be mailed to your clinic/physician(s) prior to your appointment (please indicate the date of your appointment on the authorization form so that the copies are received early enough for your physician to review).
- Pertinent information such as radiology/imaging, history and physical, consultations, operative reports, and discharge summaries are routinely provided to the physician for continuing care.
Certain information requires a special authorization covering sensitive information. This includes psychiatric, drug and/or alcohol abuse, HIV/AIDS, genetic testing. Authorizations for sensitive information must specifically refer to the information that is to be released.
REQUESTS FOR LABORATORY TEST RESULTS
Per CLIA (Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments) requirements, French Hospital Medical Center does not release results of laboratory tests to patients prior to 15 days post test date. Test results are provided to the ordering physician as soon as findings are available. Patients needing a copy of their laboratory results prior to 15 days must provide Health Information Management with a copy of their test orders--which includes a written approval by their physician that a copy can be released. Patients who do not have a copy of their orders with the physician release statement are encouraged to contact their physician directly for their test results. There is no charge for a copy of individual laboratory results.
REQUESTS FOR MEDICAL RECORDS OF DECEASED PATIENTS
Requests for medical records of deceased patients require a copy of evidence of next of kin or executorship of the estate. Please also include your phone number in case we need to contact you for additional information concerning your request.
REQUESTS FOR X-RAY FILMS
• (805) 542-6493
REQUESTS FOR BIRTH CERTIFICATES/DEATH CERTIFICATES
• (805) 781-5514