Prior to Surgery :
If your doctor recommends surgery, we have some tips to ease preparation and recovery. You may begin the pre-surgery process up to two weeks before your scheduled surgery. During your pre-surgery registration and testing appointment, you will be contacted by a member of our nursing staff either in person or by telephone who will review your health history and give you detailed instructions for the day of your surgery and answer any questions you might have. If you need additional lab, x-ray or EKG tests, arrangements can be made so you may have these done during your visit.
What to bring:
- Your hospital insurance card(s)
- Orders or forms from your doctor
- If you have completed an advance healthcare directives form, please bring a copy with you
- A list of current medications
*For patients under age 18, a parent or guardian must sign consent forms. Guardians must present their copy of the court order granting their guardianship of the minor when registering and on the day of surgery.
Day of Surgery:
- If you are having any general of monitored anesthesia, please arrive two hours prior to surgery. Our Surgery Waiting Lounges are located near the operating areas for family and friends. Additional seating is available in our main lobby area and cafeteria. Our volunteer staff will assist your friends and family with any needs they may have.
- Do not eat or drink anything including: water, candy or chewing gum. You may brush your teeth or have a sip of water to take your regular medication. If, by mistake, you eat or drink anything, notify your physician or the Surgical Coordinator at (805) 542-6370 before coming to the hospital.
- Notify your doctor if you become ill, develop a cold, persistent cough or fever; or if there are any changes in your condition.
- Advise your physician and/or nurse practitioner of any allergies and of any medications you are taking.
- Please leave all jewelry, money and other valuables at home.
When your surgery is complete, the nursing staff will advise your visitors that they may see you. The staff will work with you to assess your level of discomfort and will make you feel as comfortable as possible.
Follow these guidelines for a safe recovery:
- Do not drive or operate machinery until the day after surgery, or as directed by your physician.
- Do not drink alcoholic beverages for at least 24 hours.
- Do not make critical decisions or sign important papers for 24 hours.
If any problems arise, call your doctor immediately. If you are at home and are unable to reach your doctor, go to the Emergency Department at French Hospital Medical Center.
Our staff will also provide you with personalized post-operative instructions about rest, activity, medications and diet. Be sure to follow these instructions. Take-home prescriptions may be filled at the pharmacy of your choice.
When you are discharged, make arrangements for a friend or relative to take you home. Our friendly volunteers will make sure your discharge papers are in order and take you via a wheelchair to the patient pick up areas. When family or friends arrive, they may park and pick you up at the designated patient pick up areas located either at the front of the hospital or at our Day Stay entrance.
For more information call: (805) 542-6370